July 9, 2008

Learned Anything New

We constantly hear that what you know and who you know are the twin paths
to success. I believe that, and yet I'm constantly amazed at how little
responsibility people take for up-grading their skills.

This week, I learned that the garage where I take my car requires their
employees to spend more hours (and more dollars) per year on continuing
education than most states require for doctors, lawyers, or other
professionals. Think about that the next time you take your car in for
repairs--or the next time you talk with your physician!

I try to "practice what I preach" and in July I'll flying spend 3 days with
friends and colleagues to learn more about doing business online. We'll
look at best practices for marketing, for attracting traffic to our
websites, and for cross-promoting each other. We'll have plenty of time for
networking and fun, but the key is that twice a year, we are committed to
learning to build our businesses and do our jobs better.

Periodically I hear frightening accounts of how few books the average
person reads, or how few classes they take after they leave school. I
remember once hearing a friend say that if her employer wanted her to get
more education, "they'll have to pay me for it." What a tragic attitude!

The keys to success are being able to do more, quicker and better than your
competition, and most of the time that means KNOWING more than the next
person. It means knowing more about language and culture, knowing more
about your industry and having better contacts. It means knowing HOW to
learn, and using it to your advantage.

As Brian Tracy has said for years, read the books. Attend the seminars.
Take the classes and expand your world. Jim Rohn puts it this way: "Work
harder on yourself than you do on your job."

To "work less and earn more" you've got to know more than your competitors.

Written by Philip E. Humbert, PhD

No comments: