July 29, 2008

Negotiation

Suppose you've just finished your business presentation and your
prospect resists your
offer. For example, let's say that your prospect tells you she
doesn't have the time
to do your business. What do you say?

Give up?

Here is a simple language formula for increasing your closing ratio
by 40% when you
get resistance at the end of a presentation:

Step 1. Agree
Step 2. Listen
Step 3. Probe
Step 4. Create Disagreement
Step 5. Solution

Here's how it might play out:
Prospect: 'Thanks for showing me your program but I just don't have
the time to add anything to my
schedule right now.'

You: (Agree) 'Hey, no problem. I think you ought to pass on having a
part-time business that
doesn't fit within your present schedule.'

You: (Listen)
Prospect: 'I like your program though. It's just the time thing you see.'

You: (Probe) 'What do you like about the program?'

Prospect: 'Well, it looks like you have some really great products
and they could help a lot of people.
I've always wanted to have my own business and this one looks pretty good.'

You: (Create Disagreement) 'But you're not really serious about
having your own business are you?'

Prospect: 'Actually, I am. I know I'd be good at running my own
business. I'm very motivated to
make money and work for myself.'

You: (Offer Solution) 'May I make a suggestion?

('Yes') Why don't we get you started on a very limited schedule--one
you would feel totally
comfortable with. As your income grows, you can always add more
hours. That way it won't conflict
with your present schedule. How does that sound?'

Prospect: 'Yeah, I could handle that.'
Cha ching!

Author: Hilton Johnson

No comments: